To say this past year has been a whirlwind would be an understatement! I sold a few cannabis licenses, worked on some really great consulting projects, was lucky enough to brand a few new cannabis companies (both ancillary and plant touching) and decided to launch another cannabis consulting company in the middle of a pandemic which has been both exciting and challenging. While there is so much doom and gloom surrounding us (especially if you turn your TV on or open your Facebook page), I personally try to choose to focus on inspiring entrepreneurs in action and try to make the most of this economic crisis by keeping myself occupied. In the beginning of the pandemic I did an interview with MjBiz Daily about what a great time it is to be in cannabis, while I still believe that (it’s always a great time), 2020 has quickly become the most challenging time our industry has seen to date. Why? Multiple reasons…. cash is hard to come by, large Multi-State Operators (MSO’s) are doing major layoffs, many cannabis retail stores have been involved in recent riots/looting, and many ballot initiatives have been put on hold.
So, with all this ” crisis” where are the opportunities? Read on to see where you can apply for your Cultivation, Processing, and/or Dispensary license in 2020- 2021!
Immediate Opportunities : States Currently Accepting Applications
- Montana – Ongoing, no deadline
- New Mexico- OPEN Processor Licensing Opportunity
- Utah – OPEN Processor Licensing Opportunity
- Oklahoma – Ongoing, no deadline
- California -Differs per local municipality
- Massachusetts – Differs per local municipality
- Michigan – Differs per local municipality
- Maine – Differs per local municipality
Opportunities for 2021 : Start Preparing Now*
- Arizona – Pending Adult Use/ Recreational Ballot initiative in November 2020
- Georgia- Georgia to begin accepting applications for medical cannabis business licensing in 202o
- Mississippi – Pending Ballot initiative in November 2020
- Nebraska – Pending passing of legislation, however, good news as of July 2020, Nebraska Campaign has submitted 182,000 signatures to qualify for the ballot
- New York – Adult Use / Recreational is pending legalization
- New Jersey – Adult Use/ Recreational is pending Ballot in November 2020
- Rhode Island – Just In: Now accepting applications for 6 New Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
- South Dakota – Pending Ballot initiative in November 2020
For more information on each State visit my consulting company website, here!
**Start preparing by: Scheduling a complimentary consultation